Trisodium Phosphate Degreaser
The quality of the paint job depends on a perfectly clean surface. The surface may not need sanding and peeling, but it must be clean. Trisodium phosphate is a kind of powerful degreaser, which is always be used to remove dirt, grease, mold and soap residue from the inside and on the surface. This chemical will degrease a shiny surface so that the next layer of paint will stick. TSP chemical can also be used to clean and soften hardened paint brushes.
Use TSP to Prepare Paint Surface
Using TSP for manual cleaning
- Use a sponge dipped in warm solution. Dip the sponge in the trisodium phosphate solution. Wring it dry until the sponge gets wet.
- Always clean the walls from the bottom up, which can reduce streaks. Let the solution on the wall for two minutes to soften the deposits and then scrub, which also works from bottom to top.
- When there are large accumulations, nylon scrubbing pads are . Avoid scrubbing the wall with anything that may damage the surface.
- Rinse the surface thoroughly. Any residue may prevent the paint from sticking to the wall and waste your energy preparing the surface to be painted.
Using TSP for powerful Cleaning
- Externally, TSP can be used to clean siding, fences and masonry. Use a pressure washer or garden sprayer to apply the trisodium phosphate cleaning solution.
- Standard TSP must be rinsed with clean water. Depending on how dirty the surface is, multiple rinses may be required. Generally, if the water in the washing bucket is dirty, it is worthwhile to rinse the wall again with clean water.
- No-rinse TSP chemical is a fairly new invention, which is not as strong as the original trisodium phosphate, but is very suitable for lightly soiled surfaces and general cleaning. There is no need to rinse when mixing according to the instructions.